Just put together an hour long mix of party stuff for a friend’s wedding this weekend which I thought I’d share here. Full tracklist to follow but includes:
- 10 mins of motown and northern soul classics to get started including a fantastic newly discovered soul cover of ‘It only takes a minute girl’
- couple of disco tracks (including ‘Got to be real’ which has popped up on a couple of TV ads recently)
- some funk including James Brown, Curtis Mayfield and a funk cover of Duffy’s ‘Mercy’ which almost makes her life worthwhile. Almost.
- a few upbeat rockabilly tracks, including the uniquely expressive ‘I love you etcetera’ by Jackie Wilson
- fairly sure this will be the first and last mix which will include ‘Ring of Fire’ followed by ‘Groove is in the Heart’
- followed by a handful of 90s hip-pop tracks (Betty Boo/Kriss Kross etc)
- half a dozen reggae party classics in as many minutes (54-46/bam bam/message to you rudy/heads high etc) and the brilliant Prince Fatty cover of ‘Shimmy Shimmy’ (see full blog post below for more details on this one)
- old skool time! Out of space/on a ragga tip/superstylin/born slippy etc
- two granny friendly drum and bass classics
- and a bit of Barry and Bugsy to wrap it up.